ECON draws its history and tradition from its predecessor organization, the Exchange Club of Nashville. One of the largest clubs of the national organization, the Nashville Chapter was chartered in 1920 to support the national mission: “Working to make our communities better places to live.”
The Club has been instrumental in helping make Nashville the great city that it is today, including:
- Widening Church Street west of the viaduct and the extension of Ninth Avenue from Church Street to Union Station, without cost to the city of Nashville;
- The increase of parking facilities at Union Station;
- The beautification of Memorial Park opposite the state Capitol;
- The first overall street marking program in Nashville;
- Building children’s playgrounds at the Davidson County Tuberculosis Hospital;
- Equipping the Vanderbilt band with its first uniforms;
- Sponsoring the first successful fundraising campaign for the American Red Cross conducted in Nashville.
- Providing support for the public development of Cheekwood in 1960, transforming the private residence into a public garden and art museum.
- The Club also played a prominent role in inspiring the art exhibit maintained in the Parthenon at Centennial Park.
Today, the Club participates in programs to support NeedLink Nashville (formerly known as Big Brothers of Nashville), Salvation Army, Cheekwood and The Family Center for the Prevention of Child Abuse.